Resolved: MySQL 6 server failure -> Update 15:30

22-01-2014 18:00
Dear Customer,

There is currently an outage with the MySQL 6 server. Because of this, it is possible that your website is not displayed. We are working hard to fix this problem 'for good' but it may take some time before all work is completed.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope that the server will be back online soon. No data is gone.

Update 22-01-14 23:30: MySQL 6 is back up and running. About 85% of all databases are active again. The remaining 15% will follow in the rest of the night/morning.

Update23-01-14 03:30: MySQL 6 is back up and running. However, because the databases need to be checked and reorganized, you will not be able to make any changes to the database until early afternoon tomorrow.

Update 23-01-1405:00: The last manual checks on MySQL 6 have been performed. It is now waiting for everything else to be ready. At this moment a new MySQL server is being setup (MySQL8) which will run alongside the MySQL 6. It is expected to be ready around 09:00.

Update 23-01-14 09:00: MySQL 8 is up and running. Any webshops can now be moved.

Update 23-01-14 14:00: At this moment we are busy migrating some databases to the new MySQL 8. This will be completed by the end of the afternoon, at which time MySQL6 will be fully operational again.

Update 23-01-14 19:30: The migration of the affected databases unfortunately takes longer than initially estimated. We are still busy completing the migration.

Update 24-01-14 12:00: Most of the websites that were giving problems on MySQL 6 are now running on MySQL 8. Furthermore, the reorganization work is almost completed. We expect that by the end of the day everything will be running as it should.

Update 24-01-14 15:30: Unfortunately it takes a little longer before the MySQL 6 server is operational again. This evening between 19:00 and 20:00 the MySQL 6 server should be online again. If you still have malfunctions, please create a ticket. We will respond as soon as possible.

Pleasenote: if you have a webshop, please indicate this via the ticket system so we can give you priority over the 'static' websites. These will then be moved to MySQL 8.

If you have other questions we ask you to create a ticket via the customer panel under your account.